I am really looking forward to celebrating the Christmas season with Q and CeCe. I have been prayerfully considering how to keep Jesus the reason for the season while embracing the magic of Christmastime.
I’m a bit insecure of being a mommy scrooge for not participating in Elf on a Shelf (how do you mommas find the creative energy for Mr. Elf?! You are amazing!) and if I ever say the words “if you aren’t a good girl, Santa isn’t going to bring you any gifts.” I give you permission feed Q a candy cane and lock me in a room with the dye crazed Italian.
Jesus come quickly!!!
Yes, trying to navigate the Bermuda Triangle of Materialism & Moralism that threatens to steal the true JOY & GRACE from Christmastime, while not being labeled Mommy Scrooge can be very challenging.
One way that we are trying to keep our hearts focused on Christ while embracing the excitement of Christmastime is by using an advent calendar along Q and CeCe’s Storybook Bible. The girls both LOVE the Storybook Bible and I confess that I often prefer it to the big ESV on my nightstand.
Allow me to confess, I didn’t technically “make” the garland. I ordered the numbers from Scrap Bits etsy store for $10 (which included the bakers twine).
And then using the Storybook Bible Advent reading plan, I wrote the assigned chapters on the back of each card.
The goal is to read the assigned chapters each night (the Storybook Bible keeps the chapters short and sweet!) with Q and CeCe. I’m sure Baby Pirate will be in attendance too, Q has taken her EVERYWHERE lately….and CeCe might bring her favorite bouncy ball for the festivities. Could my children be any more different?! I love it!
Here is a copy of the reading plan I found at the blog Home with the Boys:
- Dec. 1 – The Story and The Song (Psalm 19, Hebrews 1)
- Dec. 2 – The beginning: a perfect home (Genesis 1-2)
- Dec. 3 – The terrible lie (Genesis 3)
- Dec. 4 – A new beginning (Genesis 6-9)
- Dec. 5 – A giant staircase to heaven (Genesis 11)
- Dec. 6 – Son of laughter (Genesis 12-21)
- Dec. 7 – The present (Genesis 22)
- Dec. 8 – The girl no one wanted (Genesis 29-30)
- Dec. 9 – The forgiving prince (Genesis 37-46)
- Dec. 10 – God to the rescue (Exodus 3-13)
- Dec. 11 – God makes a way (Exodus 14-15)
- Dec. 12 – Ten ways to be perfect (Exodus 16-17, 19-40)
- Dec. 13 – The warrior leader (Joshua 3, 6)
- Dec. 14 – The teeny, weenie…true king (1 Samuel 16)
- Dec. 15 – The young hero and the horrible giant (1 Samuel 17)
- Dec. 16 – The Good Shepherd (Psalm 51, 2 Samuel 7, Psalm 23)
- Dec. 17 – A little servant girl and the proud general (2 Kings 5)
- Dec. 18 – Operation “No More Tears!” (Isaiah 9, 11, 40, 50, 53, 55, 60)
- Dec. 19 – Daniel and the scary sleepover (Daniel 6)
- Dec. 20 – God’s messenger (Jonah 1-4, Hebrews 1:1-2)
- Dec. 21 – Get ready! (Nehemiah 8-10, Malachi 1, 3 and 4, Ezra 7)
- Dec. 22 – He’s here (Luke 1-2)
- Dec. 23 – The Light of the whole world (Luke 2)
- Dec. 24 – The King of all kings (Matthew 2)
I would love to hear how you too navigate these tricky waters. Please share!